From: "Barra McCain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:20:00 -0600

'' Certainly the
ancient "Celts" never thought of themselves as a collective ethnic group.''

I respect your opinion, but to me this is just political fact, with no
relevance to the DNA issue at all. Sure, they never did think of themselves
as a collective ethnic group. But neither did black Africans, nor American
Indians. Very great tribal differences, even ethnic differences. These
groups lived before mass-communications... they now tend to think of
themselves as a group, because of changes in communication and shared
history. They now have a greater understanding and awareness of themselves.
True of the Celtic question also. The concepts are not static.

But in retrospect, we can see that these diverse Celtic groups did share a
more-or-less common culture. And we are finding out, they shared a lot more
ancestors than we previously thought.

This is facts from the test tube.

My point is you can physical tell a Celt by looking at his hide.

Mr Tweedy

This thread: