From: "Barra McCain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:26:46 -0600

The R1bs in Norway... I would say are there by two methods. (BTW I have not
researched this, so I am on thin ice hear), we know from physical
archaeology that the Atlantic Culture (i.e. people) were there prior to the
arrival of the Norse. If so, they would be the same group as the Proto
Celts in the Isles. So you are right, they would have never had a change to
develop a Celtic ethnicity.

But, on the other hand, there were a lot of Gaelic and to a lesser extent
Cymraeg contact with Norway in Medieval times. And that right there may be
the explanation of the few R1bs in Norway. I do not know, I might do some
reading on that.

But the physical links between the historical Celtic speaking people are the
R1b... AMH group is there.

Mr Tweedy

This thread: