From: "Barra McCain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about R1b, H and celtic
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:52:09 -0600

Right I agree with the esteemed Mr Faux...

the idea of Celts being lost tribes of Israel, etc., is also a Victorian era
pseudo history, much in favour among some in the late 1800s. It is total
nonsense. I collect these theories... there were some crackers.

Those theories and books floated about a lot in the 1800s. People read them
now and think they are true. Very sad.

I did a research project of the idea and concept of being a 'Celt.'
Fascinating project. In fact the concept of being Anglo-Saxon, or Celtic is
fairly new. Creeps into history, just about the time modern history was
being created, i.e. circa 1700.

BTW... the idea of the Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Manx and Bretons being a
'group' was pioneered by a Breton historian, brilliant man, living late
1600s. So it is some conciliation (and no doubt comfort) that it was Celt
who did the deed, albeit a relatively modern one.

Though they always knew who they were, I mean the Welsh chiefs did write
letters to Irish chiefs encouraging them to get the Saxon, we know this as
the English almost always intercepted the letters. Owen Glendeur (sp?) was
keen on a united Celtic front.

Mr Tweedy must now take his leave, it is the cocktail hour here.... I
haven't missed one in ages.

slán agaibh

Mr Tweedy

This thread: