From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Waves and Celts
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:00:08 -0800 (PST)

wrote:
>I could list other places where people were forced west by the waves coming
>from Europe. However, I can't think of many places where a peaceful transfer of
>culture occurred. But I will "think more of a transfer of culture." I'll just
>not give it much credence, not in most cases.

I tend to agree with you Grant. Despite some conflicting DNA evidence (still being sorted out), it still on balance appears to me that the ancient Britons (Celts) were, as history taught, pushed to the western fringes (Wales, Cornwall) - with a similar analogy, as you say, in what happened in North America.

One of the goals of my Shetland Islands surname Y-DNA Project was to see if I could locate any DNA evidence that would support the idea that the Vikings lived peaceably beside the native Picts and that descendants of the latter live on today in Shetland. The fact that there are almost no place names other than Norse, and that there are very few possible Pictish words in the ancient Norn language of the Islands argues for a complete replacement. To date I have not found the DNA signatures of any of my participants to be consistent with anything other than Scandanavian plus Celts and other Scots from the mainland who arrived after 1468 (using historical, genealogical as well as DNA data). In other words, to date I have been unable to locate any apparent descendants of the Picts in the male line in Shetland.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: