From: jablair <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: GENEALOGY-DNA-D Digest V03 #669
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:00:42 -0500

Hi Jeanne,

In MOST cases a 25/25 match with another surname doesn't mean much. However
there are at least two exceptions:

1. Is there are historic connection between the 2 surnames? I run the BLAIR
DNA project. If anyone in our group matches 25/25 or even 23/25 with
someone with the surnames SCOTT or COCHRANE I look at this as almost the
same as a match within the Blair surname because a prominent male Blair
took the name Cochrane and prominent male SCOTT took the name Blair. With
these known historic connections between the surname Cochrane and Scott and
Blair, exact or near exact matches could signify a common ancestor.

2. Do both surnames who match share a common location at the same time? If
your ancestor and their ancestor were located close together at a certain
period in time then MAYBE there is a connection between the two surnames.
Unless there were a fairly obvious time/location connection I wouldn't
spend much time pursuing the matter.
John
-----
John A. Blair
Goffstown NH
http://blairgenealogy.com
mailto:
BLAIR DNA Project Family Coordinator

At 04:14 PM 11/5/2003, you wrote:
>From: "Jeanne Arguelles" <>
>
>I'm new to the list and trying to learn, so please forgive my lack of
>knowledge.
>
>We have a 25/25 match with a different surname. Both are in the J2
>haplogroup. I've tried to find info on the significance of such a match,
>but haven't had much luck. Can anyone tell me if this match is worth
>looking into further? Is the J2 haplogroup a common one? Where I can I
>learn more about the different haplogroups and their places of origin?
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>Jeanne Arguelles

This thread: