From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Waves and Celts
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:10:40 -0800 (PST)

Palden <> wrote:
David,

>Just to clarify as I am also interested in this area.

>The Pict's would of been R1b I believe. Being a Proto-Celtic native tribe whom >became Celtified, R1b into R1b.

>Are you saying that no R1b has been found in your study of the Shetland's?

Grant:

Any R1b "signatures" from participants in my study are best interpreted as non - native Celtic, Norman, or Danish based on the historical documentation integrated with the DNA evidence. For example, to date most of the non - R1a (Norse Viking) signatures (so far only R1b) can be traced to mainland Scotland from whence many (generally wealthy and powerful) families came to Shetland post 1468. There is only one R1b not in this category - and his family traditions and his series of matches point to an origin in Denmark. Nothing at all remotely "Pictish" to date. I thought that my Halcrow participant might have fit the bill since the surname derives from a place name - but no, R1a Norse Viking.

David.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: