Subject: Re: [DNA] Science Fair Time
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:31:59 EST

In a message dated 11/05/03 10:31:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Hi all, I need some help. My daughter is beginning work on her science fair
> project for this year and has decided she wants to do something with DNA
> testing. She's only 13, but...she has mastered and understands the Fluxus
> software

Wow! I'm impressed. In the event that she doesn't get enough feedback from
surname projects, there is some raw haplotype data for seven towns in an article
by Weale. He only used 6 markers, though, and many haplotypes showed up in
more than one place.

I am giving the link to the PubMed citation. When you view the abstract, you
can click on the publisher icon to get the full text, "Related Articles" to
find more citations, and "Links." When you click on "Links," the "Books"
selection will highlight keywords in the abstract, with links to a textbook
collection where those keywords can be found. This URL is long and will probably be
split by RootsWeb; it ends with =Abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&;
list_uids=12082121&dopt=Abstract

Mol Biol Evol. 2002 Jul;19(7):1008-21.

Y chromosome evidence for Anglo-Saxon mass migration.

Weale ME, Weiss DA, Jager RF, Bradman N, Thomas MG.

The Centre for Genetic Anthropology, Departments of Biology and Anthropology,
University College London, University of London, United Kingdom.

British history contains several periods of major cultural change. It remains
controversial as to how much these periods coincided with substantial
immigration from continental Europe, even for those that occurred most
recently.
In this study, we examine genetic data for evidence of male immigration at
particular times into Central England and North Wales. To do this, we used 12
biallelic polymorphisms and six microsatellite markers to define
high-resolution
Y chromosome haplotypes in a sample of 313 males from seven towns located
along
an east-west transect from East Anglia to North Wales. The Central English
towns
were genetically very similar, whereas the two North Welsh towns differed
significantly both from each other and from the Central English towns. When
we
compared our data with an additional 177 samples collected in Friesland and
Norway, we found that the Central English and Frisian samples were
statistically
indistinguishable. Using novel population genetic models that incorporate
both
mass migration and continuous gene flow, we conclude that these striking
patterns are best explained by a substantial migration of Anglo-Saxon Y
chromosomes into Central England (contributing 50%-100% to the gene pool at
that
time) but not into North Wales.

PMID: 12082121 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]