From: Shane <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:38:22 -0600

What a convoluted thread this has become. I think the genesis of the problem
lies with whoever first ascribed ethnic labels to the basic three
haplogroups and the willingness of a testing company to market such
nonsense. My take on it is this, you can pretty much call R1b anything you
want, pick a period and location. 800BC Austria­Hallstatt culture Celtic.
50BC France­Gaulish Celtic. 500AD northern France­Frank. 800AD
Norway­Viking. On and on.

If you really want to know what your R1b score means in terms of culture and
ethnicity, you have to tie it to a specific location and time. It is not
only possible to be of many ethnic groups, but likely.

This thread: