From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic and Atlantic Modal Cluster
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:11:37 -0800 (PST)

Barra McCain <> wrote:
>The need to deny that Celts are reflect a high percentage of
>Rb1 is a thankless task. Celts, Rb1... one and the same. Sure there are
>some additional factors. But don't try to negate the rather marvellous
>advances we have made in the our understanding of early Europe. Simplistic?
>Some things are thankfully simple.

Oh dear, oh dear Mr. Tweedy, I really must ask the question.......sorry......"have you been listening"? First John has said very clearly that the haplogroup of which we speak is not Rb1 it is R1b. Secondly John, Shane and I have been trying to make a very simple point, and that is: Celtic = R1b (here is where we all agree); but the converse is not true - R1b does not always equal Celtic (it could be Turkish). Me wonders whether "poor old Mr. Tweedy" (as you have termed yourself), is trying to "pull our chains a bit" - or perchance is it that you truly believe what you say?

In attempting to find some common ground, I do think that it is safe to say that all R1b individuals descend from a handful of people who wintered over in the South of Spain (as many of us R1b types do today) during the Last Glacial Maximum - then once the Ice Age loosened its frosty grip, R1b haplotypes spread far and wide - but that was 12,000 years ago Mr. Tweedy. To assert that those who meandered in the direction of Turkey in the year 10,000 BC were Celtic is really stretching things - would you not agree?

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: