Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:55:37 -0500 (EST)

Well, I warned everybody there would be trouble if people insisted on
employing the term "Celtic" in contexts other than the British Isles,
and it has come to pass. Ordinarily, I try to reply to each message
in a thread individually, but this thread has jumped the banks. The
problem is that, while there is a clear definition for R1b, there is
no such agreement on what "Celtic" means. Obviously, there are many
clear ways of defining the term, but they aren't the same, because of
differing levels of emphasis on various cultural, linguistic, and
ethnic aspects.

Maybe I can cut through the hubbub by pointing out some crucial
facts -- facts that have been mentioned here from time to time,
but that obviously have not entirely registered.

1a. No matter how "Celtic" is defined, it goes back only a few
thousand years.

1b. R1b is much older.

2a. There is substantial agreement that "Celtic" spread from east
to west.

2b. There is substantial agreement that R1b spread from west to east.

John Chandler

This thread: