From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about celtic/and Saami People
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:13:17 -0800 (PST)

wrote:
>A Y-DNA study of the Saami people
>would be most interesting for comparison. I believe Wells already has tested
>the Siberian group. I also recall seeing a Saami web page, so there may be
>a DNA project underway.

Semino et al. tested 24 Saami and found that 41.7% had Eu7, 41.7% had Eu14, 8.3% had Eu18 (R1b), and 8.3% had Eu19 (R1a). Sorry, I don't have the time to go to the YCC Consortium page to translate the first two "Eus" into a modern classifications but I think Eu14 is N, and Eu7 is I.

The bottom line is that I don't think that the DNA evidence would confirm any sort of DNA link with Native Americans (similarities likely due to a convergent process where, due to climatological factors, both came up with the "tee pee" concept - although most pre-contact Native Americans lived in a variety of structures such as longhouses).

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: