From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:16:28 -0800 (PST)

Palden <> wrote:
The Pretanii [Romans called them Pict's] were a Celtic tribe well-established before 500 BCE in Ulster, They were later called Cruithnigh. They made their way to Ireland from Scotland. Their descendants were called Dal Riada and later still Scotii, and this tribe controlled half of Ulster up until the 10 century. They migrated to Scotland in the 3rd century, and it is these Irish people whom the Highland and Harridan Clans look to as their ancestor's. Again this area is where the Hag is found, 1 in 5 of native clans.

Sir:

I must say that this is very fascinating since one of the goals of my Shetland Island Y-DNA Surname Project was to determine whether there was any evidence that the Picts survived the Norse onslaught in the 800s. To date no study of Shetland has found any Hg G. Would you predict that these Pictish "outliers" would have been 1 in 5 Hg G, and 4 in 5 R1b - or is any sort of prediction possible? Thank you.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: