Subject: [DNA] Questions, Questions, Questions
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:06:24 EST

Here's another Newbie writing in, with lots of questions. First a bit of
background:

I have quite a bit of genealogical information which I have amassed on my
Yorkshire, England family on my mother's side.

I was born in my grandmother's house in 1948, in Cottingham, Yorkshire. We
are from the East Riding of Yorkshire mostly. Half of our clan hails from
Easington, a little village on a small bit of land that juts out into the North Sea
on the East Coast of northern England that's called the Spurn Peninsula, near
Hull (I have found literally hundreds and hundreds). Our CARRICK lines go
back at least to the 1600s, and there are so many of our surnames in that area
that I tend to feel we have belonged there for ages. The area is rife with
Viking names: Whitby, Grimsby, Cottingham, etc.

Another quarter of the clan is from the Bridlington area, not far to the
north and is another town on the North Sea. My great-grandmother, Polly ROBINSON
of Bridlington, was 17 when she had a love affair with an out-of-town pierrot
performer who hailed from Bradford (in western Yorkshire) which produced an
out-of-wedlock child, thus giving us the last quarter of our English genetic
makeup.

The Bradford comedien/performer has roots back as far as the 1400s at least,
and so do all the names associated with him that I have been able to unearth.

I have been following the List's postings for a while now, trying to learn
what I can from them. At the same time I am reading The Seven Daughters of Eve
and am trying to figure out where to send my DNA, and what I hope to
accomplish.

I am full of questions. Where to have my testing done, and what kind of
testing to do?

I would like to know where the CARRICKs came from before they came to
Easington.

I would like to know if my families have been in Eastern Yorkshire (and
Western Yorkshire) for a very, very long time.

I would like to know if there are other, unknown elements in my background
which might be revealed by testing: a Russian fisherman, say, whose ship runs
aground on the beach at Kilnsea or Easington, and marries into the family. Is
that something that testing would uncover or is that a pipe dream?

Are my CARRICKs Irish or Scottish in origin as the name seems to imply, or
did the name undergo a change from CARRITT or CAROT when some French Huguenot
crossed the Humber from Lincolnshire to Yorkshire and changed his name for any
number of reasons.

And to make matters more complicated, my father was a Frenchman. I have
roots in Brittany in the west, Alsace-Lorraine in the east and Toulouse in the
south. Will that make any DNA test impossible to decipher? My beloved
Yorkshire mother died last week, and I took a lock of her hair. Should I send in my
mother's DNA rather than my own, so as to get a clearer picture of the
Yorkshire ancestry? Is testing offered on hair samples? Should I look for some rema
ining trace of my father's DNA in personal effects he left when he died 10
years ago as I have no brothers and his brothers are dead?

If anyone is still with me, do you have any advice to give me? I am unsure
where to turn for answers. Any suggestions or advice would be most gratefully
accepted. Perhaps other newbies would benefit as well. I am very keen to
learn. If I were in my 20s I would chose genetic migrations studies as my life's
work. I think it is the most fascinating thing going.

Kindest regards,

Brigitte Begue Hartke
in Clifton, Virginia

In East Yorkshire, England:
CARRICK , CARRITT, CARROTT
CASTLE - Owthorne, East Riding
MEDFORTH - Kilnsea
STAPLES - Out Newton, Easington
BRIDE (or BIRD?) - Kilnsea
BARNES - Kilnsea
FRANCIS - Easington
BRANTON, Easington
HARRISON - Kilnsea
WEBSTER - back to 1702 Easington
FOSTER - late 1600s Easington
ROBINSON - Bridlington
WAITES - Bridlington

In West Yorkshire:
BEANLAND, BEANLANDE, BEANLANDES
HOLDGATE
MARGERRISON, MARJERRISON
DOWNS
BOLTON
BROOK
WILKINSON
DOBSON

In Lancashire:
BRAMWELL - Southport, Lancashire

In France:
BEGUE - Toulouse, France
QUIRIN - Alsace-Lorraine, France
STROHL - Alsace Lorraine, France
LE GALL - Brittany, France

Every time an old one dies, a library burns to the ground. Old African
saying

"A man must keep his mouth open a long time before a roast pigeon
flies into it."

This thread: