From: jablair <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: DNA-newbie list
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:32:36 -0500

I am no longer a "newbie", having run the BLAIR DNA Project for almost 18
months, but I can understand the frustration of the "newbie". As a Y-DNA
project coordinator I am really only interested in topics that relate to
Y-DNA, mutation rates and time to most recent common ancestor. Discussions
on mtDNA, halogroups, celtic origins, etc mean nothing to me. They do
however mean a great deal to many people. And many of the people who ask
questions and reply to these topics which are meaningless to me are the
same people who provide very valuable insight into the topics I am
interested in.

You have to take the good with the bad. And what's bad to me is good to
many others.

The first thing you have to do is unsubsrcibe from the "L" list and
subscribe to the "D"igest list. This will cut done the number of emails you
receive from 90 or more a day to 4 or 5 a day. The digest mode combines 10
to 20 emails into a single email and lists the subject of each message.
When I get a digest message I review all the subject lines. If there is
nothing I'm interested in I simply delete the whole message. If there is a
subject that catches my eye I scroll down and read the message.

A "newbie" list would rob the "newbies" of a tremendous source of extremely
knowledgible individuals who monitor and contribute to this list.

John
-----
John A. Blair
Goffstown NH
http://blairgenealogy.com
mailto:
BLAIR DNA Project Family Coordinator

>I would join a DNA-newbie list! Over 90 emails in less that 24 hours is
>wearing me out. I want to understand more about this subject and want to
>understand my test results, but incorrect subject lines cause me to read
>through these arguments when I don't necessarily need to. I appreciated the
>discussion of R1b but it deteriorated days ago.
>
>Bewiltered Bonnie

This thread: