From: "Palden" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:52:04 +1100

Dear David,

My 1 in 5 is in relation to 1 HgG in 5 native Irish Clansmen in Ulster, [1 G to every 4 R1b].

In terms of Picts I believe them to be the Proto-Celtic R1b, not the post Celtic wave R1b. We may find them in terms of further subclades of R1b.

I believe that if Pictish descent is to be found it may be seen in the mtDNA of Shetland.

What is their haplogroup?. And does it match with the mtDNA of known Pictish settlement in Scotland, such as Moray. Further a Clan with a Pictish oral tradition such as the MacNaughton's would be an insight into a possible Y-Line signature.

The MacNaughton Chief lives in Antrim his family have been there since 1580, did I remember to send you his address?

All the best.
Grant South