From: "Alan Derriscott" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A Y Chromosome Census of the British Isles
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:43:28 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "LJCrain" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 6:04 PM
Subject: [DNA] A Y Chromosome Census of the British Isles

> A Y Chromosome Census of the British Isles; the complete text here in a
.pdf document.

> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/tcga/tcgapdf/capelli-CB-03.pdf

Dear LJC

Thank you for this input; both Patrick Guinness and Ann Turner recognised
the importance of this scientific paper.

The authors are of the best in the genetics business.

John Chandler referred to the BBC program, Blood of the Vikings, which was
based on this research.

There were some problems of acceptance by the peer groups, as John C.
pointed out last week.
Publication was held up for 6 months, the final report is worth having.

The first paragraph on page 6 is very useful; it describes the sequences of
haplotypes that go to make haplogroups
Hg.R1a1, and Hg.I*.

For beginners on this LIST, the YCC nomenclature, Hg.I*xI1b2 is their
shorthand for Hg.I* excluding I1b2.
Patrick G. will smile at that, because he knows that I had problems with
taking it on board, despite having read YCC nom.

Thanks Patrick for you help.

A personal note LJC, are your 'Crains of the Isle of Man? My mum was a
Craine from Peel, I.O.M.

Best wishes, Alan.

Alan J.Derriscott,
Wallasey, Wirral, England,