From: "LJCrain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Haplogroup A
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:17:30 -0600

> Which of the 7 daughters of Eve does Haplogroup A come from? It isn't one
of
> the 7.

The Seven Daughters are all European. (95% of Europeans tested will descend
from from one of them as their mtDNA ancestor. Any European descends from
ALL of the seven due to having millions of ancestors) Actually there are
many more daughters worldwide. About 33 when last I heard. Not all have the
colorful names, which in my opinion were a brilliant marketing strategy. :-)

The book is very interesting and the different clan mothers having names and
descriptions brought to life a distant murky past many had never thought of.
This had good results because it inspired many readers to be tested and
spawned a whole new way of looking at our origins. Other companies now offer
the test at less cost and with more benefit, but without Sykes book, I don't
think this would have happened. Not this quickly anyway.

Incidentally, the 4 Native American haplogroups; A,B,C, and D were the first
haplogroups to be given letters as an identification. X was named later, as
it is much rarer and does exist in Europe, though even more rarely.

Janet Crain

> Which of the 7 daughters of Eve does Haplogroup A come from? It isn't one
of
> the 7.

This thread: