From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname -- or major spelling ortranslation change over time
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:38:26 -0500

Eleanor:

A very good point. My own germanic Kerchner surname was misspelled in
some records as Carrichner and translated in some records to Churchman.

Here is a help page I wrote several years ago regarding spelling and
translation changes involving German surnames:

http://www.kerchner.com/spelling.htm

Charles

wrote:
> There are many reasons why males with different surnames may match on a Y-DNA
> test. An obvious reason is that the name has changed in small increments
> over the centuries. Our Renshaw DNA project is also testing Renchers because
> some of the Renshaws became Renchers. We have learned that the name may
> originally have been Ravenshaw, which is quite far from Rencher although the two names
> share an initial letter.
>
> Another reason for shared DNA by males with different surnames is translation
> vs Anglicization. I remember reading somewhere that the surnames Beacham
> and Fairfield are the "same" name. The original name was French -- Beauchamp.
> It was Anglicized to Beacham and translated to Fairfield. There must be many
> paired surname derivations like Beacham and Fairfield. One that comes to mind
> as I write is Venable and Hunter. I believe both are derived from Venator,
> huntsman.

This thread: