From: "Annie, The WritingTeacher" <>
Subject: [DNA] The joy of volunteerism in DNA-driven oral history genealogy recording
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:05:45 -0800

I found excellent personal history http://www.personalhistorians.org/ and
oral history mailing http://www.h-net.org/lists/ lists made of people with a
high diversity of educational preparation that resulted ultimately as a
career or interest in oral history. Also personal historians may use
DNA-driven genealogy and oral history to create their time capsules or
archived transcribed recordings. Some libraries also hire blind
transcriptionists to transcribe audio of oral history into transcripts than
can be read.

One of my hobbies is making time capsules by recording my oral histories
(free of charge to anyone) in synthetic software voices. The text is cut and
pasted into the software such as Textaloud and it reads it aloud, which I
save as an MP3 file in Total Recorder. I then upload the oral history in
audio to a Web site if it has enough bandwidth. I have 300 megabytes for
audio or video. Time capsules can be video clips or audio or multimedia.
I've done this free for relatives who asked, and it makes a wonderful scrap
book to put on a CD for future generations. My only hope is that in 100
years from now someone has
bothered to transfer the CD or DVD to whatever comes next so that I don't
end up like I have now, a zillion phonograph records and no phonograph
player with a tape recorder to transfer the records to a CD.

The price of phonographs with a record player on top and tape recorder on
the bottom skyrocketed so it's not really affordable. This will happen with
oral history placed on CDs in the future unless the archives are transfered
to new technology. History written on vellum or acid-free paper lasts but
technology is obsolete in a decade.

When I taped a woman in her seventies who spent her teenage years in
concentration camp and gave her and her relatives the tapes, they were so
happy I did this volunteer videotaping for them, letting them show what they
wanted and tell it on tape. I also gave a free copy to a Holocaust museum.
The family was so grateful that someone took the time to videotape the whole
account of the woman's experience before she got any older. This was in
1993. I'm happy the tapes are there for her children and she okayed a copy
for the museum. Volunteer work in oral history makes me feel that I've made
a difference in someone else's life. There are several oral history mailing
lists and also for personal historians. Personal historians record and or
write personal histories for individuals, families, and corporpations. Two
years ago I learned of this field when I worked as case history manager
writing success stories and case histories of companies that had
successfully used a certain type of software. If this can be done for
corporations, it was being done also for individuals in the field of
personal history. When combined with DNA-driven genealogy, it opens a wider
field for the oral history libraries at some of the universities and museums
or associations.

Anne Hart
DNA books and articles at:
http://www.newswriting.net
www.newswriting.net/id77.htm

novels excerpts and info at:
http://reminiscencemedia.tripod.com

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead? Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!