From: Mike Humphrey <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:54:26 -0800 (PST)

Also, some surnames change through the generations, and often there are
"soundex" matches: E.G., Humphrey, Umphry, Amfrey, Omfrei; Umphreyville,
Amfreyville, etc. And, as been pointed several times in this list, there
are many historical reasons why some families have chosed to change their
surname.

I'm interested in the "deep" ancestry of my surname, say 1000-1200 years
ago, as well as more recent times.

Mike ...

--- John Crowley <> wrote:

> At 08:59 PM 06/11/03 -0600, you wrote:
> >Your 25-marker match with someone of a different surname indicates that
> your
> >MRCA lived long before the advent of hereditary surnames, thus the data
> is
> >genealogically useless.
> >
> >Gary Rea
> >Project Administrator
> >Rea Surname DNA Project
>

> Circumstances alter all cases. My interest in DNA genealogical research
> stems from my paternal grandfather's illegitimate birth. A 25/25 match
> with a lineage known to have been in his native community would be of
> immense interest to me.
>
> John Crowley

=====
Mike Humphrey Trombonist & HPC Computer Scientist
650 345-7108