From: Shane <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:22:39 -0600

> I'm interested in the "deep" ancestry of my surname, say 1000-1200 years
> ago, as well as more recent times.
>
> Mike ...

Just as an aside, knowing you're a fellow Norman, thought you might be
interested in the deep ancestry of my surname.

Tarry is the English mutation of the name Thierry. Which is the Frankish
version of the Visigoth/Ostrogoth name Theodoric. Don't know how you get
Thierry from Theodoric, but that seems to be the commonly held belief. I
think the proof is in the fact that king Clovis named his son Thierry in
honor of the Roman Emperor Theodoric. Another famous Theodoric lead an army
in the defeat of Attila in 451. I think the name Theodoric and its
derivatives must have been quite popular, and a source of Germanic pride.

Shane

This thread: