From: "Gaila & James Merrington" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname -- or major spelling or translation change over time
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:43:05 +1100

Hello
I believe looking historically at surnames and even spelling it was circa
1840's before the concept of spelling a name in one "correct" way was common
practice. Prior to this time, people understood variant spelling could mean
the same person. So about 150 years ago, this concept of "correct spelling
for names came into practice. Anthropologically speaking that was an
nanosecond ago.
Gaila

> Eleanor:
>
> A very good point. My own germanic Kerchner surname was misspelled in
> some records as Carrichner and translated in some records to Churchman.
>
> Here is a help page I wrote several years ago regarding spelling and
> translation changes involving German surnames:
>
> http://www.kerchner.com/spelling.htm
>
> Charles

This thread: