From: John Crowley <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname -- or major spelling ortranslation change over time
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:05:40 -0500

There were four spellings of our surname among my grandfather's
brothers. The two oldest (legitimate) boys spelled the name Croley. My
grandfather spelled it Croley as a young man, and Crowley when he was
older. It appears as Crollie on his younger brother's marriage license.
It appears as Crawley on the same brother's death certicate. My own
father spelled it Crowley in Georgia and Crawley in Florida.

In a local cemetery, there are four brothers with their surname spelled
differently on each tombstone.

John Crowley