Subject: Re: [DNA] Public vs Private
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:46:28 EST

In a message dated 11/7/2003 7:23:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

Well, now I suppose I understand the recent comments regarding the 25/25
match between different surnames. But isn't it just as likely that your
25/25 match has a MRCA as would a 25/25 match in your surname group?

That these markers all match has to mean something!?!
<

It is possible, but everyone who has contacted such a matching person has
found nothing in common. When you are so close to the most common markers, the
odds are that you will get false matches. That is were the paper research
comes in. I can tell you that I have five matches in my own surname and we can't
find our common ancestor because he is so far back that we haven't gotten that
far with documents.
Julia

This thread: