From: Amelia <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Haplogroup A
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:29:34 -0800

I think it's worth it. Very interesting. My husband's mtDNA line is
mostly from the Makah Tribe, but it goes back to his 3rd-great-grandma who
was from the Quileute Tribe. Don't know where they might have been before
that (if anywhere else). I don't know anyone else (besides you and my
husband) from the NW Coast tribes that have been tested. There are some
results in the mtDNA concordance from Port Alberni, Canada, but that's all
I've really seen.

This would be great for the small tribes like Snohomish and Cowlitz that
need to build their membership base for federal recognition and other purposes.

At 07:37 PM 11/7/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>My mtDNA is 5 mutations. 111T, 223T, 290T, 319A, 362C
>
>The mtDNA line is Skagit Native and then to I believe a Tsimshian Native
>from British Columbia. How a Tsimshian woman found her way into the Skagit
>Tribe I don't know. Maybe slave trade that was going on at the time. I know
>that the Northern Tribes made visits to Puget Sound. How often the Puget
>Sound tribes made visits north I don't know. I do know the Puget Sound
>tribes feared the Northern Tribes.
>
>I also have Snohomish and Cowlitz on my mothers side but not in her mtDNA
>line. I'm thinking about seeing if some of my mothers cousins would be
>interested in DNA testing to check the mtDNA lines, unless you know that all
>Puget Sound tribes are Haplogroup A, I won't brother with it.
>
>Roger
>Shelton, Washington

This thread: