From: "Gary Rea" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 25/25 match - different surname
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:30:35 -0600

I believe the original post in this thread dealt with completely different
surnames, not mere spelling variations. He/she was talking about names that
have absolutely no resemblance to each other. I have matches to several
people of completely different surnames, myself, and the explanation given
by FTDNA was the same one I gave: the MRCA ancestor lived before there were
any surnames. My matches were to people whose line adopted a different
surname than my line.

Gary Rea
Project Administrator
Rea Surname DNA Project