From: "Philippe NITHART" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] different surname WILKINSON
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:51:08 +0100

Just to build up on your information: When one of my ancestor entered the US
around 1880, on entry documents, his name was spelled neatheart and
nightheart, later on niteheart to finally return to the original spelling of
Nithart 15 hears later. The fact that often these people could not
read/write well and spoke Alsacian (a sort of German dialect) mostly explain
the phonetic spelling. First names were also modified/changed to sound more
as an English/American one, probably as a desire to assimilate more
rapidly...
Philippe