From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic - Pictish Haplogroups in Shetland
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:07:09 -0800 (PST)

Hello Grant:

This R1b + G is very fascinating - especially in trying to predict what a Pictish DNA signature from the Shetland Islands would "look like". To the best of my knowedge, no one has ever found an individual with haplogroup G in Shetland (and if they did my first suspicion would be that it relates to the Scottish immigration post 1468). None the less, thanks to your e-mail I will be alert to the potential meaning of any G haplotypes located in the course of my study.

My focus has also shifted to haplogroup Q (Inuit?) which has been found in one unpublished study of Shetland haplogroups. The numbers are high and may reflect a sampling bias, but none the less, no one to date has even aluded to an Inuit (Eskimo) contribution to the Shetland gene pool. There is so much to be learned - I just need to encourage more participants to step forward. So far, however, the participation rate is better than expected - as can be seen at:
www.davidkfaux.org/shetlandislandsY-DNA.html.

Thanks to all who have given me assistance. Already the heritage of the Shetland Islands will need to be re-written to reflect the DNA findings.

David F.

Palden <> wrote:
Dear David,

My 1 in 5 is in relation to 1 HgG in 5 native Irish Clansmen in Ulster, [1 G to every 4 R1b].

In terms of Picts I believe them to be the Proto-Celtic R1b, not the post Celtic wave R1b. We may find them in terms of further subclades of R1b.

I believe that if Pictish descent is to be found it may be seen in the mtDNA of Shetland.

What is their haplogroup?. And does it match with the mtDNA of known Pictish settlement in Scotland, such as Moray. Further a Clan with a Pictish oral tradition such as the MacNaughton's would be an insight into a possible Y-Line signature.

The MacNaughton Chief lives in Antrim his family have been there since 1580, did I remember to send you his address?

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: