From: Amelia <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Haplogroup A
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:02:27 -0800

Roger:
You're in Shelton - I was just there on Wednesday this week. :)
No, we haven't had DNAPrint done. Reading through the experiences
of others, I'm not sure how accurate the test is. We don't have a lot of
money, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. It would be interesting
to see how much might come up as NA, though - and how much would be
considered EA. He should have 25% NA through his mtDNA line, but then also
another 6% NA through his mom's dad's side (Passamaquoddy Tribe in
Maine). It sounds like the latter might not show up on the test at all
(based on other information posted here on the list).
We initially had both of our testings done through Oxford
Ancestors, but I've ordered the kit from FTDNA to re-do his Y-line so we
can have 25 markers (presumably a Scottish line), and then also have the
additional mtDNA markers for his Haplogroup A results. Results from FTDNA
usually take, what, a month? My results so far have been CRS - but I'm
interested to see if that holds true with the additional markers through
FTDNA. Christmas is coming up. May do my extra testing after the New Year.
Interestingly enough... everyone has been talking about the
"shovel incisors". I checked my husband, and he has them (very
pronounced). Our older son's teeth are shaped more like mine, but the
inside is still "shovel" - just not as drastic. Our younger boy still has
his baby teeth. On the inside, mine are more like "spoons" than a
"shovel". It's funny, though... I talked this all over with my mom, and
she had never thought someone might have different teeth than her (she was
very shocked at the extreme difference between hers and mine). She
actually has very pronounced "shovel" incisors with one addition - a small,
sharp shard protruding at the top of each one (says she's actually cut her
tongue on them accidentally in the past). I haven't heard anyone talk
about that variation yet. Wherever that comes from, it would presumably be
on her dad's side.
As far as your 223T mutation, I've seen that in a lot of
Haplogroup A results posted on the internet. I haven't seen in Haplogroup
A, however, very many of the 111T mutations like both you and my husband
have. The 362 seems to show up in a wide variety of different Haplogroups,
though.
In just doing a quick search, did you know, Roger, that you have
an exact 5-mutation mtDNA match with (it's actually her
father's mtDNA that was tested)??
[Something to think about... there's a drastic need for more
Native American foster homes for Native American children. Get the word
out! :) People interested in Washington State can apply through me.]
Take care!
-- Amelia

At 08:04 AM 11/8/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Amelia,
>
>Did your husband have a DNAPrint done? If so what were the results? I
>consider myself 19% NA but my DNAPrint came back 7% NA and 2% EA. I'm not
>sure why unless there is more white blood in the NA that I thought were full
>NA.
>
>Roger

This thread: