From: Kenneth Kingsbury <>
Subject: [DNA] Match with Differing Surnames
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:56:45 -0600

We have just established the Kingsbury DNA group and one of the
primary initial purposes in our testing is to determine if we do have a
surname change. We are trying to prove a descendancy from Bracebridge
to Kingsbury. In this case we obviously are not looking for a simple
change in spelling or enunciation.
From what I have read, surnames did not become prominent until the
16th century in England after the Reformation. The church became
concerned that so many were intermarrying and therefore pushed for
consistency in surnames for their records. In our case our family
apparently used the place the family was from as their surname. We know
that Sir Peter de Bracebridge (from Bracebridge, Lincolnshire, England)
married Amecia de Arden in 1130 and they took up residence at Kingsbury
Hall (Kingsbury, Warwickshire, England). Later as members of the
Bracebridge family moved to other locations they would often change
their surname to de Kingsbury (from Kingsbury). It is our belief that
this occurred with a William de Kingsbury who appeared as lord of
Waldecroft Manor (Little Cornard, Suffolk, England) in 1368. It is our
hope that the DNA testing will bear this theory out. The point is that
this is one explanation of the alteration of the surname.
Another common example was the use of the term "Son of". Thus a man
named Edward, the son of John could become Edward Johnson. There are
many examples like this of surname changes which today would seem
strange to us, but at the time made a great deal of sense. The end
result is that the DNA test can help to point us in a particular
direction, but the final pedigree comes from serious research.

This thread: