From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic - Pictish Haplogroups in Shetland
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:56:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello Grant:

How unusual - not to know if you are I or G! I do hope that the SNP testing clears up the mystery, and that perhaps you can post something about the matter to the Rootsweb List since I suspect that there would be considerable interest in the matter.

To date, not only have I not found any G among my Shetland participants, but no I. I expected very low levels based on one published database and an unpublished database, I suspect that as my sample size increases (the number of particpants is starting to increase at a very respectable rate) the "Is" should start to make an appearance. It does not seem, however, that I should expect many (any?) G haplogroup participants. If anything, there will likely be more with a Q haplotype (based on the unpublished database) - and this will need a lot of explaining (I am searching for one at present).

Yes, we must keep in touch,

With best regards,

David.

Palden <> wrote:
David,

Good to hear from you!

I have looked at your web-page, very good.

You mention G in terms of 20% in Scotland. We are not seeing those numbers to date, fingers crossed.

Something from my side. The Irish Clans tested me as HgG, via SNP's, but FamilyTree have me at 'HgI', based on my STR's.

FTDNA is now testing my SNP's.

I believe other FamilyTree testee's who were thought of as HgI will also test G*, via SNP's, as this Haplogroup is diverse in its spread of STR's, and this is what is seen in native Gaelic Ulster Clans.

What I see so far in terms of the Scottish project is a possible 5% of G. I will not go no record as yet, as I can not firmly establish the parameters of variance in G and it may be that I and G share many similarities which will only be confirmed via SNP tests.

I have an oral tradition of Gaelic descent this is supported by my Y-DNA.

Keep in contact and all the best for the Shetland Project.

Grant South.