From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:47:34 -0800 (PST)

Single Nucleotide Polymorphism. More properly, UEP (Unique Event Polymorphism). For example if "SNP" testing reveals that a male has a nucleotide base change from A to C (I am guessing here) at position M173 but no M17 mutation then the person has a known haplogroup of R1b. If a person has M173 plus M17, then they are R1a. In other words mutation M173 defines R1b, and mutation M17 defines R1a (and, among the "big three" in Northern Europe, M170 defines haplogroup I). Now, aren't you glad you asked. A haplotype (signature of "scores" or alleles or repeats on 12 or 25 marker testing can give a very good idea of their likely haplogroup, but only SNP testing will confirm it. This is where refering to any of the many general references (glossary of terminology) noted by Listers of late would be useful. Charles Kerchner and Nancy Custer have developed some excellent overviews of the subject of genes and genealogy which includes this info - and the Blair, Duerinck, and Garv!
ey sites
(also frequently mentioned) are also superb resources.

David F.

Donna Wilson Smith <> wrote:
Just what does SNP stand for?
Donna