From: "Malcolm Dodd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Y chromosome haplotype "I"
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:05:25 -0000

Hi Annie
Perhaps you would like to comment on FTDNA's website which says "I" spread
DOWN from Viking populations

Quote from FTDNA
>I1b This line was derived within Viking / Scandinavian populations in
northwest Europe and has since spread down into southern Europe where it is
present at low frequencies.<

We know that it is found to the greatest extent in the Saami population at
42% - note that the Laplanders are not Vikings
Those Vikings who visited Croatia, Macedonia and Albania must have lived up
to their name (R & Pillage) if they left such a widespread genetic legacy -
or is the other explanation - that the ancient peoples travelled UP i.e.
spread up North more likely?
Croatian 45%
Macedonian 20%
Albanian 19%

I think that if we try to solve a genealogical brick wall with DNA evidence
and assume that I is Viking we are sadly looking in the wrong
genealogical/geographic directions.
Malcolm