From: David Faux <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Y chromosome haplotype R1a
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:56:37 -0800 (PST)

Yes indeed Michael. R1a is found at relatively high frequency in Mongolia, the Russian Atlai, India and Eastern Europe. It's requency is as low as zero in places like County Connaught in western Ireland, and below 5% elsewhere in Ireland. In Weale's "A Y Chromosome Census of the British Isles" he picked two places in Ireland to sample, one on the east coast (1% R1a), and one in central Ireland (0% R1a). According to James F. Wilson and others, R1a in Britain is the only sure haplogroup sign of Norse Viking ancestry - from the west coast of Norway in all probability. As you doubtless know places like Dublin and Wexford were places of Viking settlement, and the Vikings at one time or others made it up most of the navigable rivers in Ireland. Actually I am surprised that the percentage of R1a is so low in Ireland based on these historical facts.

David F.

Michael Harper8 <> wrote:
You may be correct, but both my third cousin and I with ancestors known to
be in Co. Monaghan from around 1700 (via Scotland) are R1a and probably
R1a1. My SRY is 10831.2-

Thoughts?

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: