Subject: [DNA] Re: GENEALOGY-DNA-D Digest V03 #676
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:16:03 EST

Hello, ae.4a615cfe.2cdcfd57

Thank you so much for sending me advice in response to my long message of
November 6, Questions, Questions, Questions.

I am beginning to understand more and more, to the point that some of my own
questions seem stupid to me now. I realise that we are all beginners at some
point. You were kind to give me such good advice. I've been involved in
genealogy research for a number of years now, and have contacted many people who
are either somewhat close or distantly related to me. I hope some of them are
thinking of getting their DNA tested, too, so we can increase our databases.
I hope I can convince my Uncle CARRICK in Carlisle, Cumbria, to let me pay for
im to be tested!

Kindest regards,

Brigitte Begue Hartke
in a very cold Clifton, Virginia

In a message dated 11/7/03 9:16:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:51:19 EST
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions, Questions, Questions
>
> In a message dated 11/06/03 5:07:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> >And to make matters more complicated, my father was a Frenchman. I have
> >roots in Brittany in the west, Alsace-Lorraine in the east and Toulouse in
> >the
> >south. Will that make any DNA test impossible to decipher? My beloved
> >Yorkshire mother died last week, and I took a lock of her hair. Should I
> >send in my
> >mother's DNA rather than my own, so as to get a clearer picture of the
> >Yorkshire ancestry? Is testing offered on hair samples? Should I look for
>
> >some rema
> >ining trace of my father's DNA in personal effects he left when he died 10
> >years ago as I have no brothers and his brothers are dead?
>
> Right now, DNA testing can only follow the straight paternal line
> (Y-chromosome testing) or the straight maternal line (mitochondrial DNA,
> abbreviated
> mtDNA). That's a tiny fraction of your total ancestry, but you can work with
> other
> people to build up a picture piece by piece. For example, if you want to
> learn more about the CARRICK name, join forces with other CARRICK
> researchers and
> invite people with related surnames as well. You will have to find some male
>
> cousins who still carry the CARRICK surname to act as your DNA proxy. When
> the
> results come in, you can see if they all match, or (more likely) that there
> are several different Y-chromosome patterns (haplotypes) associated the
> name.
>
> Your mtDNA will serve just as well as your mother's and be less expensive to
>
> process. The DNA testing companies each have their own kit for collecting
> DNA
> samples, so that's what they prefer to work with. (They all have you rub a
> brush or swab inside your cheek to collect cells.) There is a company called
>
> Trace Genetics that will extract DNA from hair and personal effects. It's
> much
> easier to get mtDNA than Y-chromosome DNA, though. You can write to
> and ask his opinion about your items. Tell him what
> they are, how
> they've been stored, whether anyone else has handled them, and what kind of
> test you hope to do.

This thread: