Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS464 / new primer
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:00:49 EST

In a message dated 11/11/03 7:15:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> The mutation-rate estimate based on the 70
> meioses analyzed
> amounts to 2.86?10-2 (95% confidence interval 3.5?10-3 to
> 9.95?10-2). This value
> is approximately 10 times higher than the average
> mutation-rate estimate for
> Y-STRs.

Patrick, do you have access to the full text? I'm curious about the mutation
rate. First, was it father-son pairs? Did they give the actual differences?

I see the confidence interval is very wide, because there were just two
mutations observed and the sample size is small. I assume the two mutations could
have come from ANY of the four copies of DYS464. It seems to me that it would
be more appropriate to divide the observed mutation rate by 4, since there were
70x4 opportunities to observe a mutation in the set.