From: John Coats <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Frequency of R1a with Norse Surnames in the British Isles?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:39:29 -0600

Peter; Ours came out R1a, and our surname is Coats, which we believe is
British Isles in origin. Yours is an excellent question, since
familytreedna.com says R1a says this is a rare haplotype. I do not
believe FTDNA has enough samples yet to say this is rare or not.
However, I only have one match, and I believe we are related. I think
your question needs to be sent to familytreedna.com or FTDNA.com,
whatever works.
John W. Coats