Subject: Re: [DNA] Frequency of R1a with Norse Surnames in the British Isles?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:54:27 EST

In a message dated 11/11/03 1:17:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Please let me know if anyone has a rough estimate of
> the percentage of those who are haplogroup R1a and
> from the British Isles and who have surnames of Norse
> origin versus those who are R1a and have surnames that
> are believed to be of non-Norse origin
> (Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Saxon etc.) Perhaps another way
> to phrase the question... What is a relationship
> between R1a in the British Isles and surname origin?

I don't know of any formal study, but you could go to http://www.ybase.org
and type in the modal values for R1a, then search for people who match most of
those values to see what surnames are listed. It might be best to use just the
first 12 markers so you have a larger population to start with, but you can
play with that.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/DNA/RelGenMarkers.htm

Let us know if you come to any conclusions!