From: "Mark MacDonald" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Frequency of R1a with Norse Surnames in the British Isles?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:42:00 -0600

From what location in the British Isles? It makes a big difference
whether the invaders into the area were west coast Norwegians or
Dane/Saxons. Orkney, Northern Hebrides, Southern Hebrides, Wales,
mainland Scotland vs England will each differ. There are studies which
used a grid to analyze frequency of R1as across numerous regions in the
British Isles. Once you identify your location, only then can you ask
the next surname question. About 20% of MacDonalds ,descended from our
chiefs, are R1a;our cousins the MacDougalls and MacAlisters have a
higher percentage of R1a. Each of those clans is a Norse gaelic mixture
with gaelic family names. In Orkney there are a substantial number of
R1as with few if any gaelic names except for recent arrivals.
Mark MacDonald