Subject: [DNA] mtDNA haplotype diversity
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:42:40 EST

This abstract appeared on PubMed. I haven't seen the full text, so I'm making
some assumptions here.

The most frequent haplotype (263G, 315.1C) is Haplogroup H (the Cambridge
Reference Sequence has the rare values at those positions). Its frequency is
actually substantially lower than I see in many studies which only look at HVR1,
so it seems as if HVR2 is quite useful in eliminating false positive matches.

Also note that there were 242 different haplotypes in 300 people, so the
"haplotype diversity" is very high. Many people don't appreciate the variety found
within the "Seven Daughters of Eve."

I would venture to guess that the haplotype found in the five "unrelated"
people does point to a common ancestor, but farther back than they know.
Typically, studies like this just check to the grandparent level for determining
unrelatedness.

-----

Forensic Sci Int. 2003 Nov 26;137(2-3):125-132.

Mitochondrial diversity of a northeast German population sample.

Poetsch M, Wittig H, Krause D, Lignitz E.

Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Greifswald, Kuhstrasse 30,
D-17489, Greifswald, Germany

Mitochondrial DNA sequences of the hypervariable regions HV I and HV II were
analyzed in 300 unrelated individuals born and living in the northeast corner
of
Germany (Western Pomerania) to generate a database for forensic
identification
purposes in this region. Sequence polymorphism were detected using PCR and
direct sequencing analysis. A total of 242 different haplotypes were found as
determined by 147 variable positions. The most frequent haplotype (263G,
315.1C)
was found in 10 individuals and is also the most common sequence in Europe.
Three other haplotypes were shared by 5 individuals, 2 sequences by 4, 8
haplotypes by 3, 15 sequences by 2 persons, and 213 sequences were unique.
The
genetic diversity was estimated to be 0.99 and the probability of two random
individuals showing identical mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplotypes is 0.6%. A
comparison with other studies from Germany showed only little differences in
the
distribution of haplogroups. Nevertheless, one frequent haplotype in
northeast
Germany (five unrelated individuals) could only rarely be found in other
German
and European regions. Our results may indicate that despite a high admixture
proportion in the German population some regions could demonstrate certain
characteristic features.

-----