From: Mike Humphrey <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Cherry DNA
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:29:36 -0800 (PST)

Sherlene ...

My mother's mother was Clara Cherry, born 1884 in Awalt, Tennessee.
We have a paper trail that indicates her father, John Cherry, had
ancestry from Ireland, circa 17th century, with earlier Norman/
Scandinavian ancestry. Apparently, the Norman surname was originally
De Cheri. They were Hugenots who fled to Ireland to avoid persecution
in Normandy.

I have no information of Y chromosome results for surname Cherry, but
my mtDNA is "V", (Velda),with a single change, 16298C, from the CRS,
according to my Oxford Ancestors (OA) results.

I can offer more data in off-list emails, if you want.

Mike ...

--- Sherlene Mats <> wrote:
> I'm new to the list. I am from the Houston, TX area.
>
> I am interested to know if their are existing efforts of collecting DNA
> for the families of Cherrys.
>
> My other surnames are: Frolich, Greene, Lee, Hacker, Eisemann, Tye,
> Wright, & Freeman.
>
> TIA,
> Sherlene

=====
Mike Humphrey Trombonist & HPC Computer Scientist
650 345-7108