From: David Faux <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] BBC, the Celt Map, and Some Rethinking
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:43:21 -0800 (PST)

Hello Mark:

Fascinating information. Thanks.

If your testing was done by FTDNA, would it be possible to separate the Gael from the Norwegian McDonalds on the basis of a comparison of each haplotype with the data in the "Haplogroup Database"? For example, my R1b is clearly not Gaelic in historical times since I have no Scottish matches, but match samples in Norway, France and Iceland. Wouldn't this type of pattern in your McDonalds be suggestive of Norwegian origin; and those whose matches are primarily Scottish and Irish - might it not be reasonable to assert that they are of Gaelic origin?

David F.

Mark MacDonald <> wrote:
David
Of course it could be. When I check my Clan Donald data base of
R1bs against the Icelandic data of Helgasson which also includes
Norwegian and Danish data I can exclude any Danish influence but am
totally unable to determine which of my R1bs are of Norse ancestry. We
know that the MacDonalds are of mixed Norse/Gael ancestry because our
chiefs are R1a in the male line and 66% of the MacDonalds are R1b. Our
lands and islands lay along the main Viking highway from Norway to
Ireland

www.davidkfaux.org

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: