From: Nancy DeVore Williams <>
Subject: [DNA] Rare? Polish? mtdna haplogroup
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:51:16 -0600

I have finally gotten back the results from ftdna on my husbands
mtDNA and I am now more confused than ever. I am a newly to this, but I
was beginning to get a feel for the workings of the Y chromosome. Now I
am ... lost.
The results for his low resolution HVR1 haologroup read:
**We have not yet been able to assign your results to a Haplogroup. If
we cannot determine your Haplogroup this week, we will do more testing,
at no charge to you, to make the determination. Your patience is
appreciated.
Then for HVR1 mutations it listed the following: 16126C, 16209C,
16256T, 16294T, 16519C. I have NO idea what that means!
Now, my mother-in-law's parents were born in Poland in an area close
to what was known at the turn of the century as Prussia. (My husband
and his siblings have those beautiful blue mongol eyes). So ...
1. Is his haplotype difficult to establish because it is Polish (and
therefore not as common to DNA researchers as it would be if from, say,
the British Isles) or is it truly rare?
2. Are those mutations significant?
3. Should I get an additional mtdna test run for him and if so should it
be mtDNA refine or mtDNA plus? I would have thought that there would be
no point in a refinement until he had a low res match?
If anyone can answer these questions, or even give me a better idea what
questions to ask ;?), I would be grateful.
Thanks for reading this, and thanks for any help you can give.
Sincerely Nancy

This thread: