Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2003-11 > 1068822104

Subject: Re: [DNA] M170 or M173 ?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:01:44 EST

In a message dated 11/13/03 9:17:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,

> Question to List: If a person is Rlb, how can they find out whether they
> are a M170 or M173 ?

You would be M173. When you look at the tree diagram at the Y Chromosome
Consortium, you'll see that M173 leads to the R1 cluster and M170 leads to
Haplogroup I. If you order a formal haplogroup test, FTDNA would do the more specific
P25 SNP test for R1b, but if you test positive for that, you would
automatically test positive for all the mutations leading to R1b.

Ann Turner - GENEALOGY-DNA List Administrator
Search or Browse the archives, Subscribe or Unsubscribe at

This thread: