Subject: Re: [DNA] Rare? Polish? mtdna haplogroup
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:26:48 EST

In a message dated 11/13/03 8:52:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Then for HVR1 mutations it listed the following: 16126C, 16209C,
> 16256T, 16294T, 16519C. I have NO idea what that means!

I agree with John that you will probably get a "T" because you have the motif
(theme) for that haplogroup with your 126 and 294 mutations. See Macaulay's
table (the 16000 part is stripped).

http://www.stats.gla.ac.uk/~vincent/founder2000/motif.html

Your other mutations are variations on the theme, and they'll help you in
comparing your results to others.

> Now, my mother-in-law's parents were born in Poland in an area close
> to what was known at the turn of the century as Prussia. (My husband
> and his siblings have those beautiful blue mongol eyes). So ...
> 1. Is his haplotype difficult to establish because it is Polish (and
> therefore not as common to DNA researchers as it would be if from, say,
> the British Isles) or is it truly rare?

His haplotype is not found in the databases I checked. As you suggest, that
could be because Poland hasn't been sampled as thoroughly, but new haplotypes
are being discovered all the time, even in England.

> 3. Should I get an additional mtdna test run for him and if so should it
> be mtDNA refine or mtDNA plus? I would have thought that there would be
> no point in a refinement until he had a low res match?

No point in getting another mtDNA test at this point.