Subject: [DNA] Haplogroup data base
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:20:57 -0500

David and others:

I have not been able to move across the Atlantic with
my genealogy, though I suspect my Y chromosome came
to the U.S. from the British Isles. WEST is a surname
that was often an abridgement of something else. In our
first 10 Y-dna tests we only have two matches.

My haplogroup is estimated to be R1b (no snp test).
My matches in the FTDNA haplogroup database
are scattered everywhere. The largest number of
matches is to Iceland, and I was under the impression
that this was because Iceland had a larger representation
in the database (relative to population size) than many
of the other locations. I even have what I would consider
a disproportionately large number of matches to Shetland.
Following those two locations, my matches are mostly in
the British Isles, France, and Germany.

Until I can cross the Atlantic with my genealogy,
the haplogroup designation is interesting, but I
don't think I will be able to derive much about my
'deep' Y ancestor. I suspect there are many
others like myself.

Dennis West

This thread: