From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup data base
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:37:53 -0800 (PST)

Dennis:

What you say below is absolutely correct in my estimation. I am in the "fortunate" position of having a paternal grandfather who came from East Anglia in England where his ancestors have lived since time immemorial (well since the late 1300s at the very least). For this reason I am in the, I suppose, envious position of being able to try and hunt up some ancient ancestors. So many on this list are "lost in America", and have yet to find a link across the pond. Clearly, for persons in this category the REO Database, Ybase etc. are going to be of much greater pertinence until the weight of evidence allows you to come to a conclusion about the ancestral home of your Y - line - then, believe me, the Haplogroup Database will take on a whole new meaning. First things first.

Good luck.

David.

wrote:
David and others:

I have not been able to move across the Atlantic with
my genealogy, though I suspect my Y chromosome came
to the U.S. from the British Isles. WEST is a surname
that was often an abridgement of something else. In our
first 10 Y-dna tests we only have two matches.

My haplogroup is estimated to be R1b (no snp test).
My matches in the FTDNA haplogroup database
are scattered everywhere. The largest number of
matches is to Iceland, and I was under the impression
that this was because Iceland had a larger representation
in the database (relative to population size) than many
of the other locations. I even have what I would consider
a disproportionately large number of matches to Shetland.
Following those two locations, my matches are mostly in
the British Isles, France, and Germany.

Until I can cross the Atlantic with my genealogy,
the haplogroup designation is interesting, but I
don't think I will be able to derive much about my
'deep' Y ancestor. I suspect there are many
others like myself.

Dennis West

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: