From: <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Financial Help for testing
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:20:40 -0500

We have a scholarship fund too. So far, only one contributor, but then
I haven't asked either. "The contributor" has paid for a number of
tests that they felt were critically important, or knew the participant
really could not readily afford it. "The contributor" has also offerred
to pay for some very specific testing - for example 1. anyone with the
surname Eustace in England from the Kent/Deal area or that has a firm
paper genealogy to there 2. Anyone with the surname Este with a firm
paper link to either England as above (but more general) or to the
European continent, preferably to the Italian d'Este family - or
reasonable derivitive thereof. In other cases, where we don't "need"
the testing for something "the contributor" is personally interested in,
the offer isn't made. In one case, I sent someone who has daughtered
out the info on someone who said they would like to test, but can't
afford it, and who is from the daughtered out line further up the tree -
and neither one of them followed up on it. On the other hand, I have
had cousins that I only know via the family newsletter who have active
sought candidates, successfully. So, I guess it really does depend. I
think that having a family newsletter that has been published for years
has helped legitimize things a lot and makes people feel they "know"
each other.

Roberta Estes