From: "Malcolm Dodd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Haplogroup I -Viking AND Anglo-Saxon
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:38:03 -0000

Familytree DNA asserted to me that the Vikings visited Croatia and that is
how the "I" haplogroup is today found in that location.
That is in direct contradiction to the paper by Semino et al which says
" the culture spread north and east" - FTDNA think it spread "south and
west".

I am not familiar with the expression "out to lunch" but I guess it connotes
a different opinion.
In fact Semino and all the other authorities you quoted support my position.

I am merely trying to point out the fact that someone from the British Isles
with "I" haplogroup is just as likely to be Anglo-Saxon as Viking. By
omitting the Anglo-Saxon FTDNA mislead me (until I read the authorities
quoted) and continue to mislead others.
What have they got against including Anglo-Saxon in their description of the
likely origins of British males with haplogroup "I".

Please note that for genealogy purposes it is helpful to have an accurate
description of likely origins.
In 1066 the Normans invaded. At that time (as a generality because peoples
did not individually move as much as today) the British Isles had, in my
opinion, a considerable Danish (Viking) genetic fingerprint in East Anglia.
In Wessex the great King Alfred had kept out the Danes and there would have
been a very considerably smaller Danish genetic fingerprint.

The precise Semino quote-
"During the last glacial maximum, Western Europe was isolated from Central
Europe, where an Epi-Gravettian culture persisted in the area of present day
Austria, the Czech Republic and the northern Balkans" (includes Croatia - my
insertion)" After climactic improvement, this culture spread north and east.
This finding is supported by the present EU7 haplogroup distribution."

Other authorities say-
Haplogroup I defined by the M170 genetic marker arrived from the Middle East
20,000 to 25,000 years ago. It is Gravettian culture, the second subdivision
of the Upper Paleolithic technological phase in Europe. It is found in
Anglo-Saxon populations.

I am not wrong. I am sure that the Vikings did leave their genetic
fingerprint where ever they travelled, but in locations such as the
mountainous northern Balkans, to suggest that a high genetic fingerprint in
the population is derived from Viking raids is ludicrous and in
contradiction of Semino et al.
Malcolm