From: K Haddad <>
Subject: [DNA] Drumming up Interest & Action
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:31:55 -0800 (PST)

I formed a DNA group for my family DNA project at yahoogroups. Only a third of the members have submitted tests. But at least I can try to keep motivating them. To join, I can send them an invitation or they can email . They have to create a yahoo ID, but they don't have to use it; can receive email thru their regular server. However, if anyone wants to chat, they can do so through yahoo's chat. Now and then I send an invitation to those I know are interested but haven't joined yet. My goodness! The whole world needs prodding!

There is a "files" section where we can submit our GEDCOMS. Also there is a "photo" section where we can submit pics of males to see if they look alike. Also it has archives. Also it has a polls section.

I have two polls going right now. A black person is interested in joining and I thought it would be fun for her brother to be able to tell his friends, "I'm Welsh." But to make sure no one caused her any trouble, I ran a poll re. this with the multiple-choice answer being 1. I wouldn't mind. 2. I find it fascinating. 3. I would drop out immediately. So far half voted for 1 and half for 2. (They remain anonymous, by the way.)

My other poll is this: "I have not submitted a DNA test yet because...."

I just cannot afford it. 0 0.00% I don't know a living male cousin with the Maddox name. 1 16.67% I know of a possible living male cousin, but am afraid he'll make fun of me. 0 0.00% I know a possible living male cousin, but don't have time to write or call. 1 16.67% I, my husb/bro/cousin doesn't have time to take the test. 0 0.00% I'm interested in other peoples' results only. 0 0.00% I'm interested in DNA but never intended to participate. 0 0.00% I know a Maddox cousin/brother/husband, but he just doesn't want to do the test. 0 0.00% I'm afraid the results will not remain private. 0 0.00% I don't know enough about DNA yet. 0 0.00% I don't know enough about my genealogy yet. 0 0.00% Other 4 66.67%

I am quite frustrated because I have no idea what "other" is referring to. Since their answers are anonymous, I sent out a message to our group asking that those who answered "other" would mind telling me what "other" meant to them. No replies.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with what yahoo offers for families.

Katheryn